2022年7月10日

sometimes I just do the stupidest things

So... Today's story starts with this medication: NOVOSeven

A little bit of information about this medication --
The story was, it came as a new set of complicated shidazzle. Need to connect the adaptor to the vial lah, connect the plunger by pushing and twisting tight lah, connect the syringe to the adaptor lah, swirl the medicine slowly lah draw out the medicine into the syringe lah, expel the air lah...
All went well until I tried to give the patient the medication. Then I realized that the syringe couldn't fit the IV cannula luer lock.
RN C.P.N. attempted to transfer the medication into our syringe by drawing it out from the tip of the syringe. But the needle couldn't fit the tiny tip. 

So me being the kanchiong one and having a few new patients pushed me to want to get things over and done with quickly.
So I did what I observed Dr's do when preparing lignocaine - pour into a syringe and put back the plunger. (Wrong demo alert)

And.

You guessed it.

I spilled the medicine.

$2000++ in one tiny 1ml.

Gone. 

So... I resupplied the medicine again and that was another hoo hah with the Pharmacist side.
Need email lah this and that lah...
I was trying so hard to remain calm.
I feel my left sided chest pain coming back, probably due to anxiety.

I called my Nursing Officer on shift to report on what happened. Integrity at the max man. I jolly well could have pretended nothing happened and give the pt the spilled medicine. Non-sterile anymore. (Wrong thinking alert).

God.

So I handed over to the afternoon shift since he came at 1430hrs.
And then I thought of a better way I could have handled the whole shit. (And this time I did the following as I cosigned it with him)

After dilution, LEAVE THE DAMN MEDICINE IN THE VIAL AND NOT FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS TO DRAW IT OUT.

THEN, DETACH THE ADAPTER FROM THE VIAL.

THEN, USE A 3ML SYRINGE WITH GREEN NEEDLE TO ASPIRATE THE DAMN MEDICINE INTO THE SYRINGE.

DISCONNECT THE NEEDLE AND GIVE THE MEDICINE WITH THE 3ML SYRINGE WHICH IS KNOWN TO BE COMPATIBLE WITH THE LUER LOCK!

OK.

That was a lot of exclamation.

Well. If they're going to ask me to pay for it then I guess I will give them my bonus for this month.

Damn it.

🤦🏻‍♀️😑🤯😵🥴💥👀